The University delegates responsibility for both the technical and financial management of externally supported projects to the Principal Investigator (PI) or Project Director (PD); PI/PD responsiblities include:
- Ensuring compliance with all University and sponsor requirements pertaining to the sponsored project, including but not limited to:
- adherance to all University and sponsor procedures applicable to sponsored programs;
- timely submission of progress reports, and
- effective and responsible use of sponsor’s funds in accordance with the award’s terms and conditions and University policies:
- Ensuring that expenditures are reasonable, necessary, allowable under the terms and conditions of the award, properly allocated in proportion to the benefit received by the award or other funding sources, and limited to the funds awarded for the project,
- Acquiring and maintaining training, approvals or licenses required to comply with all applicable federal and state laws and statutes, such as human or animal protections, environmental and personnel safety, recombinant DNA, or export controls.
Individuals who consistently fail to demonstrate adequate management of sponsored projects, including fulfilling the above responsibilities, may be subject to University sanctions by the Vice President for Research including loss of privileges to apply for external support.