What you need to get started
- An NSF ID number
- Don’t have one? Contact OSP at x2807 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provide your latest/final degree, year it was conferred, SU email address and department affiliation
- OSP will create an account for you, which generates your nine-digit NSF ID number
2. FASTLANE password OSP will create a temporary password when we create your FASTLANE account
How to create your application in FASTLANE
Go to: www.fastlane.nsf.gov
Select Proposals, Awards and Status (upper left side of blue ribbon)
At PI/co-PI Log in, enter your: last name, nine-digit NSF number, and password.
- Forgot your password? Contact OSP immediately so we can reset it.
Under What do you want to work on? select: Proposal functions
Select Proposal Preparation
Select Prepare Proposal
Select Create Blank Proposal
You then will see a Form Preparation page which contains all the components of you NSF application.
Select GO Cover sheet, which will take you to the Cover Sheet Components Form
Select the appropriate Solicitation number or the Grant Proposal Guide to associate your application with the specific competition.
- If prompted to assign to a Division and or Program, scroll down list(s) and select as applicable.
- Click Go Back
Select GO Program Announcement
Select GO Remainder of Cover Sheet
Enter Title of proposed project (NOTE: your solicitation or type of proposal may require specific leader abbreviation, e.g. CAREER, Collaborative Research, etc)
At Budget and Duration Information enter proposal duration in months and start date
- Ordinarily ~6 months after submission date. We encourage you to select dates that align with SU semester start (8/15; 1/1; 5/15)
At co-PI information, enter co-PI email addresses (all co-PIs must have FASTLANE ID/account).
At Other Federal Agencies enter an abbreviation of other federal agencies to which you have or will submit the same/similar application. NOTE: Biology directorate does not allow same/similar application to be submitted to other agencies, unless the PI has not been funded before.
At Other Information review and check all applicable.
Please review Certifications – OSP certifies these matters based in part on the signatures of the PI, co-PIs and others on the Internal Routing and Review Form, which includes compliance with SU’ conflict of interest policy.
At bottom of page, click Go Back, and on Cover Sheet Components page again select Go Back, which will take you back to the Form Preparation Page
- Select Go Back
At the Proposal Actions pages, Select Allow SRO access
- Select your preference
- OSP must have full rights: view, edit and submit, 3 business days before the deadline.
Please also Review NSF application tips and checklist for GPG summary informationAll requirements of the Grant Proposal Guide are to be adhered to unless the specific solicitation indicates otherwise.