NRSA Stipend Level Increases
NIH has announced increased projected stipend levels for postdoctoral trainees and fellows supported by Kirschstein NRSA awards in FY 2017, ensuring that NRSA stipends are above the $47,476 exemption threshold established under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
See NOT-OD-16-134 for details.
NIH Application Guidance Updates
Effective for applications due on or after January 25, 2016, but prior to May 25, 2016.
- Updates to application instructions for research strategy section, focus is on reproducibility of research findings through increased rigor and transparency, NOT-OD-16-011.
- Simplification of the Vertebrate Animals section in proposal applications, NOT-OD-16-006.
- NIH inclusion policy, age is redefined to be individuals under 18 years old instead of under 21 years old, NOT-OD-16-010.
NIH Forms-D Update
- Effective for applications due on or after May 25, 2016, FORMS-D application forms must be used.
- OSP will provide application templates for download on our website with pre-populated SU information, likely in March timeframe when NIH makes the forms available.
- By March 25, 2016, NIH will provide new application guides to be used with FORMS-D applications.
NIH Biographical Sketch
- NIH and AHRQ will require applicants to use the newly published biosketch format for all grant and cooperative agreement applications submitted for due dates on or after May 25, 2015, NOT-OD-15-032.
- The revised forms and instructions are now available and adjustments have been made to improve their usability. The following are some of the features of the new format;
- Extends the page limit for the biosketch from four to five pages.
- Investigators can outline the central findings of prior work and the influence of those findings on the investigator’s field work.
- Emphasizes accomplishments, not just a listing of publications.
NIH Implementation of Dual Use Research of Concern (DURC)
Policy for Institutional Oversight of Life Sciences Dual Use Research of Concern (the Policy) issued on September 24, 2014, NOT-OD-15-017.
- Applies to all New and Renewal awards issued on applications submitted on or after January 25, 2015, and to all non-competing continuation awards issued on or after January 25, 2015.
- Institutions have one year (until September 24, 2015) to establish the necessary infrastructure to come into full compliance with the Policy.