Have you included the necessary University Administrative Offices?
- Has the Office of Sponsored Programs been contacted regarding your plans to submit a proposal?
- If the sponsor is a foundation or corporate entity, has the Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations been contacted?
- If the project involves use of human or animal subjects, when will Office of Research Integrity and Protections (ORIP) be engaged?
- If the proposed project involves hazardous material, when will the Environmental Health and Safety Services Office be consulted?
- If the project involves the use of export-controlled technology, when will provisions be made to secure the necessary licenses?
Do you know what your Sponsor is looking for?
- Have the correct forms been identified?
- Are the proper institutional identification numbers, applicant name, and address being used?
- Are you aware of formatting requirements imposed by the sponsor such as page limits and font size mandates?
- Does the proposal include attachments such as biographical sketches, current and pending reports and certifications and assurances to be completed by OSP, etc.?
- Are sponsor expectations clearly defined to determine if you are applying for a gift vs. grant visual?
Are you collaborating with others?
- Are the collaborators internal to SU or external (third party) entities?
- Will the thrid party engagement be in the form of a subrecipient or as a contractor?
- Is the role of each collaborator clearly established to avoid misunderstanding and potential disputes?
- Will a third party be contributing cost share?
Space, Funding and Risk Considerations
- Have requirements for space or specialized facilities (e.g., secure facilities) been discussed with the Department Chair, Dean or Director?
- Other than for cost sharing, have requirements for commitment of institutional funds been brought to the attention of the Department Chair, Dean or Director ?
- Have proper precautions been identified to mitigate actual risks or potential risks of the proposed project?
- Will required costs normally recovered through the F&A rate, such as office supplies, postage, and telephone costs be explicitly budgeted and justified in the proposal budget?
- Will overload or extra service compensation (excess compensation to be paid during the faculty member’s on-duty period) for consultation across departmental lines, in addition to faculty member’s normal workload be included?
- Does the budget conform to any limitations imposed by the sponsor (e.g., salary caps, prohibitions on the purchase of equipment, F&A limits, etc.)?
- Are the proper fringe and F&A rates being used?
- Is cost sharing required?
- Refer to the Budget Development section for assistance.